-
May 28th, 2004, 07:41 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hey, went to a short film festival yesterday, and I actually thought that 'ugly' looking shorts looked quite good. Sometimes even better than the clear minidv look of professional cams.
So I started wondering, how can i achieve an ugly look, which is still looking nice? I think the best way to describe the 'ugly' look is the really grainy, rough look. I thought of super8, but I haven't really seen any footage of super8. I thought of a really cheap dvcam and use the ugliest mode available, or using a very good dvcam and underlighting the footage.
So my question is, how can i get rough looking footage?
-
May 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Shoot in low light and mess around with the brightness and contrast in post
-
May 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I shot short film about one girl finding out the world was ending. I wanted the footage to look very noisy and grainy so I put the gain level on the camera up as high as it would go. This gave exactly what I was looking for. Not many consumer DV cameras have this feature, but if you get something like an XL1 or VX2000 etc you should be able to do it.
I agree that often it is far more interesting to take advantage of what you can do to DV in post or while shooting to make it look as dynamic as possible. And I don't mean making it look like film.
Andy
-
May 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM
#4
Inactive Member
andy, is there a still you can show me?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks